Web DevelopmentUsing PHP
Many of these items can be found on Wikipedia, but do not cut/paste your answer from the web.
- What is a web server?
- What are the top four web servers that are on the market?
- What is an application server?
- What are three major types of application servers that you can get?
- What are some application servers that are on the market?
- What is a load balancer?
- What are the different types of load balancing listed here?
- See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_hosting_service
- Free hosting
- Shared web hosting
- Reseller hosting
- Virtual dedicated hosting
- Dedicated hosting
- Managed hosting
- Co-location hosting
- Cloud hosting
- See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System
With the address: www.simpson.edu, what is the TLD, SLD, and third level domain name?
- What is a domain name registrar?
Section 2: PHPSee http://w3schools.com/php/default.asp
For now we are skipping form processing, file management, cookies, sessions, database interaction, and XML.
- How does PHP code get separated from HTML code?
- Can users see PHP code?
- A new developer opens up a .php file in his/her browser. It "kind of" works, but not really. Explain what is happening.
- Show the code required to create a variable that is assigned to the text "Simpson College".
- How does PHP print the contents of a variable into a PHP document?
- How are strings concatenated together in PHP?
- Take a look at the PHP String Functions link. Pick one of the commands and write a brief summary of it.
- From that list of string functions, look at printf. Find information on that function here or here. How would you print out a floating number to only two decimal places?
- Give a simple example of an if/elseif/else statement in PHP that is different than the one shown in w3schools.
- Show an example of a PHP "for" loop that is different than the tutorial.
- Show an example of creating and calling a simple function in PHP.
- Use the date() function (look under the PHP Advanced section) and show how to output the date in the following format: 2009-07-01
- Show how to use a PHP "include" statement to perform a server-side include. This is very handy when you have common headers or footers you wish to include.
Section 1: Web and Internet server basics
You are not logged in. Log in here and track your progress.